Thursday 25 June 2009

Twittering all the way to the bank

Despite my earlier protestations that Twitter was for the birds, Dell have kindly put the cat amongst my pigeons.


The recent declaration that their use of Twitter had racked up $2 million from directing customers to its online outlet store, plus a further $1 million generated from sales elsewhere on its site seems to show the way for the use of 140 characters

The tweeting began in June 2007 and has since accumulated over 600,000 followers.

The company uses the social networking to update followers on company news, as well as promoting Twitter-exclusive offers.

Dell claim that "Deal-hunters are especially attracted to Dell's Twitter presence. Dell Outlet sells refurbished Dell products at great prices, but inventories fluctuate, making it difficult to know when products are available or on sale,"

Dell Outlet uses Twitter as a way to communicate coupons, clearance events and new arrival information to those looking for Dell technology at a discounted price.

The growth in followers seems have really taken off recently, with just over a year ago there being less than 12,000 getting regular tweets.

Actually, let me rewind a second

''Dell Outlet uses Twitter as a way to communicate coupons, clearance events and new arrival information to those looking for Dell technology at a discounted price.'' I may sound like I've been around a bit (and obviously I have), but I'm sure that was a role employed by vehicles such as direct mail and door drops. In fact, quite a few of those pieces were delivered by Dell themselves from what I remember.

I must start following the tweets for my local Dominos Pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment